Friday, April 9, 2010

A Trip to the Library

In our house, a trip to the local library is like a trip to the toy store. The kids have been off for the spring break this week, so we had time for an extended visit. We walked out with a few dozen books between the three of them, and they have been reading pretty much non-stop for the past few days. I love it!

Kiki picked out some good books - two by Todd Parr that I hadn't come across before -Otto Goes to School and The Feel Good Book. I love Todd Parr's illustrations - the colors are so vibrant that they seem to leap off the pages. In fact, the colors are so bold and contrasting that sometimes they seem to jiggle when you look at them. Kiki even kept reaching out to touch the pictures and saying, "Why are the pictures moving?"

Kiki also brought home a wonderful book called I'm Your Peanut Butter Big Brother by Selina Alko. I was sitting in one of those kid-sized plastic chairs watching Kiki play with puzzles in the children's section when I happened to catch a glimpse of the title on the shelf. I was intrigued so I grabbed it, and I ended up being captivated by the quirky artwork and the poetic text. It's the story of a big brother eagerly awaiting the birth of his new sibling, and wondering what the baby will look like. Omi read it to Kiki tonight at bedtime and he loved it!

Omi brought home a selection of interesting books, and the one I am most excited for her to read is Small Steps by Louis Sachar. It's the same author who wrote Holes, so I am sure it'll be an interesting read. I might even read it when she's done!

Big D is on a Roald Dahl kick, and he's determined to read everything by his new favorite author. (He just finished James and the Giant Peach.) So he brought home the classic, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I am sure he'll love it. He also is into Andrew Clements these days, and checked out The Last Holiday Concert.

So many books the children have to read, and so little time! We are notorious for racking up late fees at the library--a habit I am determined to break!

No comments:

Post a Comment